Farmers’ Market Chicken Chowder in a Sourdough Bread Bowl
· One pack pasture-raised chicken breast or thighs
· 3-4 strips of bacon
· Salt and freshly ground pepper
· Olive oil
· One large sweet onion chopped
· Four cloves of garlic minced
· One medium-large sweet potato
· One 4-oz can of mild hatch green chiles, or diced fresh mild chile like poblano
· Four cups chicken stock
· 1/2-teaspoon dried thyme, or leaves stripped from 6-10 sprigs of fresh thyme
· Fresh corn cut off the cob, or one 10-oz bag of frozen sweet corn
· Three tablespoons butter
· Three tablespoons flour
· 1 cup whole milk
· 1 cup cream
· 4 small sourdough bread boules or one larger sourdough bread
Oil chicken with a bit of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the bacon to the sheet pan alongside the chicken, and place in a hot oven. Keep an eye on the bacon. Pull it out once crunchy, and set aside, while the chicken finishes cooking.
Add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil, chopped onion, and garlic and green chilis, to your soup pot. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes until the garlic and onion begin to soften. Add the chopped sweet potatoes, thyme, and stock. Bring to a boil, and then turn down and simmer, until the sweet potatoes begin to soften. Add in corn. Simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Cut the tops from your bread bowl(s) and hollow out soup bowl(s). Bag your sourdough bread crumbs and pop them in your freezer for a future meatball or other recipe. Set aside.
Your chicken is probably finished cooking by this point. Pull it out and let it cool enough to handle. Pull the chicken from the bones and cut into bite size pieces. Add the chicken back to your soup.
Make a roux by melting your butter, and whisk in the flour. Continue stirring and cooking until the flour just starts to get a touch of color. Whisk in the milk and simmer until it starts to thicken. Whisk in the cream and simmer until your roux is thick and bubbly. Whisk the roux into the soup.
Ladle soup into bread bowls and enjoy!
Homemade Chicken Stock
· One pack pasture-raised chicken soup bones
· Veggies- pick 2-3 of the following onion, garlic, carrot tops or carrot, celery or leafy bits of celery, parsley stems or leaves (cut veggies into a few large chunks)
· 1-2 bay leaves
· 6-12 pepercorns
· Water to just cover
Use raw soup bones, cooked bones from a roasted chicken, or a combination of raw and cooked bones for greater depth of flavor.
Pack bones and veggies tightly into a stockpot or crockpot. Add enough water to just cover.
Simmer on the stove top for 4+ hours, adding a bit more water as needed. If using a crockpot, cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or overnight.
Cool slightly and strain out the solids with a mesh strainer. Use within 3 days or freeze for future use.
Blythewood Farmers Market Shopping List
For Farmers’ Market Chicken Chowder in a Sourdough Bread Bowl
· Pasture-Raised Heritage Chicken (1 pack thighs or breast)- Doko Farm
· Sourdough Bread- Flour Power Bakery
· Milk, Cream, and Butter- Hazelwood Farms
· Veggies- Two Creek Farm, and Bushels and Bags Farm
For Chicken Stock
· Pasture-Raised Heritage Chicken Soup Bones (1 pack)- Doko Farm
· Veggies- This is a good chance to use up what you have or visit- Two Creek Farm, and Bushels and Bags Farm
Shop the Blythewood Farmers Market